The Bitter Southerner
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Bitter Southerner
Who We Are
The Bitter Southerner covers the American South from a modern perspective. Our goal is to tell stories about places, organizations, and people that do not fit the national media's standard narratives and stereotypes about the South. The Bitter Southerner is committed to amplifying multiple voices that together create the historic and modern cultures of the South.
What We Publish
Currently, The Bitter Southerner publishes two written stories per week. Please use the appropriate form beneath the guidelines to submit. We want to tell a full story of the South and will prioritize work by Black, Latinx, Asian, Indigenous, and LGBT people and creative storytellers that want to tell about their own communities and experiences.
Our features typically range from 2,500 to 5,000 words. These are our deeply reported stories with a strong narrative arc. Tell us what you want to write and why you are the one to write it.
From the Southern Perspective/ Folklore Project
A shorter feature story, cultural perspective piece, personal essay (non-fiction), interview, or opinion piece. Feel free to include photographs, audio recordings, and videos. Please send your completed story, no more than 3,000 words, and a cover letter.
Submissions are closed for the summer. Please check back in the fall.
- Every story we publish should reflect its author's perspective or experience with the U.S. South — even if that perspective is from afar.
- In your subject line, please communicate what is unique about your story.
- We allow profanity, but please ensure it serves the story's effectiveness.
- We do not publish unsolicited poetry or fiction.
- We do not publish stories that have been published elsewhere.
- Few stories in The Bitter Southerner are "timely" in the way newspaper stories are. But sometimes, we publish pieces in response to current events. If you believe your story is time-sensitive — either as a response to a recent event or if it is linked to an upcoming event or milestone — please write "TIME SENSITIVE" in the subject line. Please keep in mind that we try to plan several months in advance.